Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fly fishing on the lower Blue



I wish summer would come back! Here it is May 1st and it is snowing where I live, at 9,000 feet in the Colorado Rockies. Painting these types of scenes are fun when it is white outside, but during a long winter, I run out of reference photos. We always have fishermen on the Blue River, winter and summer,(it is Gold Medal fishing), but the best scenery is summer and fall. Perhaps in another month I will be able to get more photos again. I had lots of fun painting this one. I have not painted people very much before, so it was a good experience, and something new. I did a little study from this same reference photo a while ago and it sold as soon as I took it into the gallery, so I changed the composition a little and did this larger 24x28. The study was so small that the people were nothing more than a couple of dabs of paint. The larger version needed a lot more accuracy, but I still tried very hard not to noodle them. I really like the way Ken Valastro paints people, and while I didn't get anywhere near as loose as Ken gets, it was a good start in that direction.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful one, Joanne. It exudes a freshness; the cold running water and mountain air. A little male bonding going on, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflections! Are you going to the show in Denver on Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carol and Pam! I will be there Friday Pam. I assume you will be too? I am taking my painting down tomorrow sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne, We're driving up for the show. Look forward to seeing you. Will you be staying in Denver? Just driving down for the evening?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just there for the evening. See you then!

    ReplyDelete