Wednesday, May 23, 2012

One day I will take a Karin Jurick workshop!

I started out painting landscapes, mostly because it scared me to paint people, but now I really enjoy figurative work.  I would love to take a workshop from Karin Jurick or from Michelle Torrez.  One of these days! 
When we were in New Zealand in March and April, we visited an island bird sanctuary called Tiri Tiri Matangi.  Lots of schools take groups of kids there on field trips as they have a lot of native birds there that are very threatened.  As we were getting ready to leave on the ferry, these kids from Parnell school were killing time by "chucking stones into the sea".  I took lots of photos of them and was taken with this little boy as he seemed to be a bit left out by the older girls.  Note the school uniforms and the hats, a required part of the uniform.   New Zealand is right under the hole in the ozone layer and melanoma is a concern there. 

6 comments:

  1. This is lovely, Joanne. Actually I think he looks like he is enamoured with those waves. Whatever the reason for his being there he certainly stands out in your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol! That is a nice positive way to look at it. :) I think they were all having a great time that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful painting. The figures and the sea are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Anthony. For once I think I got my lights and darks light enough and dark enough! That takes some realizing....especially to get dark skin tones dark enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've just discovered your blog, and I think your figuratives are great! I've also taken two of Karin's workshops, and highly recommend signing up. She is amazingly talented, and so much fun. If you can do so, you will really enjoy it. Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Linda! I just finished another but I have to get a better photo of it. You must be one of the reasons Karin does so many workshops in Hilton Head.

    ReplyDelete