Thursday, January 13, 2011

Winter can be colorful


Willows are so gorgeous with no leaves on them! They change color as the season progresses and seem to be the darkest red, almost burgundy, in the early winter. As time goes on they get brighter, until they end up almost orange by spring. I love to watch them. Of course, they like wet feet, so you always see water around them. The title of this piece is "Thawing" as the creek is beginning to show up again and is not snow covered. It is hanging in our "Winter lights" show at the Arts Alive Gallery in Breckenridge.

5 comments:

  1. The reds and oranges look great against your handling of the white and blues. It’s nice of the willows to provide a reason for the beautiful contrast of the compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started out too bright on this one and had to go back in with neutrals and colorful greys instead of relying so much on color. Hard for me to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Joanne. I love a stark winter scene with snow on the trees and a colorful item like a birdhouse or bench under the tree. I'm sure there's a name for something black and white with a touch of color but it eludes me. You truly did a beautiful job with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne I love the colors in this painting! You have given winter a warmer personality and made it seem more inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everyone! I have this one hanging in our "winter lights" show at the local gallery.

    ReplyDelete