Friday, January 13, 2012

A dog commission



This is the third dog commission I have done for this family, but it was the toughest! The photo they sent me of the dog wasn't the greatest, and when I tried a close up, I couldn't figure out where the various parts of the dog were within the black blob that was the head! I don't paint from imagination very well, and really do need reference. So I decided that I loved the girl and the dog together, and did that instead. It made it less necessary to get as detailed with the cockapoo. I titled it Best Buddies, as they look like they really are. The painting is a present for the little girl for her February birthday.

2 comments:

  1. How sweet, Joanne. I'm doing two dog portraits myself; one a Shih tzu and one a Pomeranian and boy have they been difficult.
    They are finally starting to look like their photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you got yours delivered faster than I did! I am delivering mine today. Have a new one to do of an Aussie but with the prep for our trip to New Zealand I am out of time and will have to do it when I get back I think.

    ReplyDelete