Saturday, April 24, 2010

Painting for summer shows


I spent last week at my sister's house in Arizona. She is an artist, so I get lots of time painting in her studio with her. I took plenty of reference with me as I need to get a lot of work done for various summer events. In total, I did about 6 pieces that I will be happy with once I tweak one or two of them a bit. One is 16x20 and the others were 9x12 or smaller. When it goes well, I paint quickly, but if I have to labor over it, I am better of wiping it out and doing something else. I had a couple of days of wiping out, but had a couple of good days too.


I have two outdoor shows I have committed to this summer, plus the Continental Divide Land Trust has a fundraiser that I am involved in. I am coordinating the artists for the plein air event, plus I will submit a piece for the studio artist's segment of the sale. The theme for this year is wildflowers and this is the 9x12 piece that I will probably use for it. It is titled Rock Garden, and the reference I used was a photo I took on a hike one summer when the wildflowers were particularly good. I did a couple of other, similar pieces in Arizona, but this one talks more about the flowers than the others, so this may be it. Hopefully it will sell and raise money so that the Land Trust can protect more land from development, keeping the wildflowers blooming.

2 comments:

  1. Joanne Hi!
    Nice to see you on my blog...I like the composition in the piece..lovely foreground

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Coral! I don't know if you remember, but we met at Carol Marine's workshop in Sedona. It was a good one, wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete